getcontext/setcontext

I am trying to make continuations work for SCM, a version fo scheme.
(I had this working but using a lot of assembly language which did
not find favor)
I have copied a lot of ideas from guile but the details differ.
After getcontext, I save off the stack and register backing store
along with the ucontext_t.  To do the throw, I restore the stack and backing
store and then do setcontext. However I can't seem to restore the
register backing store. After the loop (or memcpy, I have tried both)
the data in the backing store is unchanged. I finally stepped through
the copy loop till I reached a location that should have been changed
by the write, stepped across the store instruction and verified that
memory had not changed.

Can anybody tell me what is going on???

Richard Harke