Re: booting debian

> Are you saying that with the exact same configuration, the ordering of
> the devices is varies on boot?  Or are you saying that you are able to
> change the configuration to either?

No I say without changes, that with the exact same configuration, the
ordering of
the devices is varies on boot and when the qla2300 is the first device I
receive a message "waiting for root file system" or something like that,
and after a long time a ash shell is started.

>> I change my /etc/fstab with :
>> /dev/disk/by-uuid/3FF0-131C
>> /boot/efi       vfat    defaults        0 0
>>

> fwiw, you shouldn't mount /boot/efi by default on Debian systems;
> /usr/sbin/elilo will manage this for you, and that's what Debian
> linux-image packages expect.

Ok

>> /dev/disk/by-uuid/cc687ecd-e5cd-4882-aef3-c9591e76b5a1
>> /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
>> #/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:0b:00.0-scsi-0:4:0:0-part4
>> none            swap    sw              0       0
>>

> looks ok
>

>> My elilo.conf :
>> delay=20
>> default=Linux
>>
>> image=/EFI/debian/vmlinuz
>>  label=Linux
>>  root=/dev/sda3
>>  read-only
>>  initrd=/EFI/debian/initrd.img
>>

> And this works sometimes?  All the time?  Never?
>
>> I try :
>> root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/cc687ecd-e5cd-4882-aef3-c9591e76b5a1
>> the ':' give a problem with lilo
>> root="/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:0b:00.0-scsi-0:4:0:0-part3"
>> work but the system hang when udev start
>>

> I've tested using root=/dev/disk/by-id syntax with grub and it works
> fine, so this isn't a generic initramfs-tools problem.  I have a
> qla2200 disk as root on a sparc system, and it works fine w/ an
> initramfs-tools initrd, so this isn't a generic FC-as-root problem.
>
> The initramfs intentionally "hangs", waiting for udev to create the
> special device file for your root device.  It is not clear to me why
> this file is never being created.  You should be able to interrupt at
> this point (^c) and examine your system to see what /dev/ entries *do*
> exist.  Is there *any* /dev entry for your root device?

Ok, but I cannot test a this moment, this is our main production server,
maybe tomorrow.

>> I don't know how to solve this problem, can you help me ?
>>

> It would be much easier with a complete bootlog - any chance you can
> hook up a serial console and collect one?  If it is true that
> sometimes your megaraid is sda, and sometimes your qla2300 is sda,
> then it'd be nice to see a bootlog of each.

How can I obtain the boot log from the initrd process ?
Guy