Re: Should we drop non-SMP ia64 kernel images?

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 10:09 +0200, Emeric Maschino wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Isn't the hp workstation zx2000 a strictly monoprocessor system? I agree
> this model isn't for sale anymore.
>
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11665_na/11665_na.HTML

(re-adding debian-kernel to the cc list; I don't know why it was
dropped)

Sure - and its possible to buy N-way systems with only one processor in
them.  As far as I know, there are no cases where an SMP kernel wouldn't
just work on a single CPU system.  What I'd like to know is if there's
any significant performance impact in running these machines with an SMP
kernel.