Re: Should we drop non-SMP ia64 kernel images?

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 11:00:27AM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > Do you mean that kexec doesn't work in SMP situations ? I am not sure what you
> > mean about test situations and the SMP kernel should work just well in
> > virtualized environments, but i have some trouble equating ia64 machines with
> > low memory situations :)
>
> The new kernel started with kexec for debugging purposes may need to be
> simple and small. AFAIK the amount of memory for the second kernel is

Ah, so kexec is not a 'let the new kernel take over the box' thingy then,
something used to upgrades kernels without bringing down the box ?

> limited. Virtualization of SMP environments is pretty complex. In
> many situations its just nice to have a UP kernel around.

Well, sure, but there is no reason an SMP kernel should not run just fine on a
UP machine, in fact i was told it would be a bug if it didn't. So if the SMP
kernel is running fine on real UP hardware, i guess it will run just fine on a
virtualized UP environment.

Friendly,

Sven Luther