Re: ia32el package for Debian?

  Richard> On Thursday 27 January 2005 11:16, David Mosberger wrote:
  >> The IA-32 Execution Layer (IA-32 EL) is available for download
  >> from Intel:

  >> http://www.intel.com/software/products/opensource/opsys/IA32-EL/

  Richard> What is the significance of this software? That is, just
  Richard> what does it do?  I recall that I installed the x86
  Richard> binaries of Openoffice.org some time ago and they worked
  Richard> fine.

It's a just-in-time binary translator which translates x86
instructions into ia64 instructions.  It also does the x86 syscall
emulation all in user-land.  With ia32el enabled, the x86 hardware
built into the Itanium and Itanium 2 chips won't be used at all and
due to its built-in optimizer, ia32el may run programs significantly
faster than the hardware translator (though some programs also may run
slower).

>From my perspective, another nice benefit is that it lets you turn off
CONFIG_IA32_SUPPORT, giving you a significantly smaller kernel and
thereby reducing the number of potential security holes.

	--david