Re: ia32el package for Debian?

  Matthew> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:16:15AM -0800, David Mosberger
  Matthew> wrote:
  >> The IA-32 Execution Layer (IA-32 EL) is available for download
  >> from Intel:
  >>
  >> http://www.intel.com/software/products/opensource/opsys/IA32-EL/
  >>
  >> I think the license may be liberal enough to allow for packaging
  >> and distribution by Debian.  This would be very helpful since
  >> it's a bit of a pain to install the bits by hand.

  Matthew> It certainly can't go into main, since there's no source.

Note that there are two parts: one proprietary, the other GPL.  The
main thing that's needed is an /etc/init.d/ia32el that fits inside
Debian and the GPL portion configured/compiled to match the Debian
file hierarchy.

  Matthew> Could it go into non-free?  I'm not convinced by this bit:

  Matthew>    under a license agreement that has terms and conditions
  Matthew> at least as restrictive as those set forth in Exhibit B,
  Matthew> (Requirements for End User License Agreements)

  Matthew> http://www.intel.com/software/products/opensource/opsys/IA32-EL/IA32_eula1.htm

This only talks about IA32Exec.bin.  It doesn't say anything about how
the rest of the OS is distributed.

	--david