Re: Suddenly no X-window

On Monday 29 March 2004 09:39 am, David Mosberger wrote:

>   Richard> I see the NVIDIA logo then it tries to change but
>   Richard> immediately quits, that is it switches back to VGA terminal
>   Richard> mode
>
>   Richard> The lines I gave were from the messages on screen They were
>   Richard> not in XFree86.0.log because they are from KDE and not from
>   Richard> X Effectively, X only runs long enough for the Nvidia logo
>   Richard> to display
>
> That's exactly the symptoms you'd get if you ran a "wrong-version"
> XFree86.
>
> 	--david

But what to do?? Searching debian.org I only find two versions
of XFree86, the one I have installed (and which is apparently
almost identical to the one I was running) and a somewhat
older one. Does there exist an apt-get undo ??

Is libc stable? I notice than when kreadconfig seg faults
it is in libc. When I was playing with Mplayer, all the
seg faults were in libc. One involved realloc so I assumed
the app was passing a bad pointer but one seg fault was
on a memalign and the params were good.

Richard