Re: evolution patch now 30 days old and counting...

  Martin> Look at it this way:

  Martin> The right place for the bug to be fixed is upstream, isn't
  Martin> it?  Do you really want the bug to be independantly re-fixed
  Martin> in every distribution?  No.  So sooner or later, it needs to
  Martin> get to the Evolution developers.

Nobody suggested such a thing.

I'd expect the maintainer to forward the bug report upstream, but in
the meanwhile, s/he can provide a locally fixed version.

  Martin> You can either send it yourself, or feel bad that the
  Martin> maintainer didn't forward it yet.  I can forward it for you
  Martin> if it makes you feel better. :-)

Argh, I don't _care_ when upstream gets fixed.  I care for a working
evolution Debian package.  I produced a patch that is obviously
correct and is working.  Sure as hell it's not too much to expect the
maintainer to take such a patch and react to it in a timely fashion,
no?  Especially for an important package like evolution.

  >> And I suppose even then we'll be at the good grace of Kitame to
  >> actually update the Debian package?

  Martin> It's relatively easy to say to the maintainer "there is a
  Martin> new upstream release, please update".  That's a less risky
  Martin> thing for him to do than to apply a patch that he's probably
  Martin> not even able to test if he doesn't have an ia64.  Also,
  Martin> when there's a new upstream, you won't be the only one
  Martin> asking for an update.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the Debian bug system provides zero
value to me (well, negative value, actually), so I doubt I'm going to
bother with it in the future.

	--david