stupid desktop question

So here is the stupid question of the day: with GNOME 2.8 (and perhaps
even before that), I noticed that on ia64, the desktop icons (e.g.,
for "Computer") are laid out very close to the top-edge panel such
that they almost overlap.  On my x86 laptop, it appears that the
top-edge panel causes a rearrangement of the icons such that they are
further away from the panel, which is what you'd expect.

Anybody else noticed this and/or know where the problem is?  Is it
just operator error?

Thanks,

	--david