NVIDIA kernel again

Hi,

I'm actually running Sarge on my hp workstation i2000 with kernel-
image-2.4.26-1-itanium-smp. When I recompile the NVIDIA kernel using
the kernel-headers-2.4.26-1-itanium-smp, everything runs fine. Now,
if I remove the headers and install kernel-source-2.4.26-1 and apply
kernel-patch-2.4.26-ia64, I get a warning about a missing gcc string
in /proc/version when recompiling the NVIDIA kernel. However, the
gcc string appears in this file and matches exactly my current gcc
version. The NVIDIA kernel is finally built and loaded correctly
and 3D hardware acceleration appears to run fine. But looking at
the dmesg output shows this NVIDIA-related message:

1: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux ia64 NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-5347
Wed Mar 10 14:25:56 PST 2004
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 1890M
agpgart: no supported devices found.
0: NVRM: AGPGART: unable to retrieve symbol table

I didn't get this last line when the NVIDIA kernel is recompiled
using the Linux kernel headers.

Furthermore, the logs in /var/log/XFree86.0.log now exhibit:

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to verify AGP usage

When the NVIDIA kernel is recompiled using the Linux kernel headers,
this line says that AGP 4X is successfully set.

What am I missing here?

Any inputs are welcome!