custom build of 2.4.20 doesn't boot

Hi,

I tried to build my first custom kernel for IA64 (zx2000) and failed. I
am new to this architecture (though not to Debian and kernel building)
and I feel like I am missing something. The kernel compiles fine, but on
boot, it reboots the machine just after displaying 'Uncompressing
Linux'.

This is what I did.

apt-get install kernel-patch-2.4.20-ia64
cd /usr/src
tar xjf kernel-source...
cd kernel-source-2.4.20
run-parts /usr/src/kernel-patches/ia64/apply/
cp /usr/src/kernel-patches/ia64/config.mckinley .config

plus the XFS 1.3 patches from oss.sgi.org/projects/xfs

make-kpkg --revision test1 kernel_image

Any tips ... ?

Thanks a lot,
Ionut