X11 and Elf_RelocateEntry()

Its me again. Sorry. I'm not making these things up.

I got NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX built and I can
modprobe nvidia and the only message is the political one.
(note: version is 1.0-4050, the only one NVIDIA has for ia64)
I copied the XF86Config from my Xeon machine as it too
has an nvidia card. Then I do startx, as a user. Bombs out.
Checking the log all is fine until:

(II) Loader running on Linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 135

The unsupported relocation type message repeats for
a few hundred times (I didn't count) except the type alternates
between 135 and 134 and occasionally becomes
a series with 79 as the number.

Then I get
(II) Module bitmap: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
          compiled for 4.2.1.1, module version = 1.0.0
          Module class: XFree86 Font Renderer
         ABI class: XFree86 Font Renderer, version 0.3
Symbol __modsi3 from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
                                                          is unresolved!

This then repeats except the symbol name __divsi3 alternates
with __modsi3

Finally:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

There is also a message about reporting problems to
submit@bugs.debian.org
Before I did that I thought I should find out if this is known

The server version is 4.2.1.1

Richard Harke