Re: 2.4.19-mckinley-smp kernel: How to select compiled in modules?

Matt Taggart wrote:
> Just a guess but try adding
>
> alias autofs autofs4
>
> to /etc/modules.conf via the debian method(man update-modules).

Good guess.  But no success.

I decided to rebuild the kernel.  Of course some people always build
custom kernels.  I used to be one of those.  But now I try to use the
prebuilt kernels as much as possible because it saves me much time and
energy.

Mostly for the archive and the search engines here is a summary of my
solution.  I am still not quite happy because it seems that there
should be a way to do this without a kernel rebuild.  But this works.
My problem was mounting disks from servers that don't export their
root filesystem.  I need the autofs4 driver instead of the autofs
driver to make that work.

Taking Alex's suggestion of 2.4.20 from unstable I tried to compile
it.  But kernel-source-2.4.20 did not go directly on my stable based
system.  I think it is missing the ia64 specific patches.  I dropped
back to the 2.4.19 using Bdale's kernel-source-2.4.19-ia64 source.
That worked flawlessly.

I changed the configuration to this:

  cp /boot/config-2.4.19-mckinley-smp .config
  make menuconfig
    CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=m  <-- was y
    CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y

  And then the a non-initrd make-kpkg.
    fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -mk-smp-rwp.1 kernel_image

This kernel works with autofs4 and everything seems to be good.

Bob