Re: mission critical Debian

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 01:17:56PM +1000, Peter Chubb wrote:

> Did you think about using any of the system duplicator packages?
> Systemimager or replicator or autoinstall or whatever?

  Nah, we really didn't. This project came up kindof fast. We did think about
doing some tricks with dd, or moving disks around, but finally we decided to
just install multiple machines in parallel cause it was less hassle in the
long run. Other than a few questions up front, installing from CD is pretty
straight forward. It's mostly feeding disks occasionally. That's what Jr.
sysadmins are for. :-)

> http://www,gelato.unsw.edu.au/~ianw/libc-nptl/
> But you need to be running the latest 2.5 kernel to have it work.

  Yes, I've recently heard of it. I'm upgrading Debian right now on another
zx6000 I have here at home to sid so I can try it.

> Are you aware of the Gelato project?  It's to support and promote
> linux on IA64; it has lots of people using clusters, some in mission

  No, I hadn't heard of the Gelato project. The web page looks interesting.
There's quite a few other big projects I know of all moving to Itanium/Linux.

	- rob -