Trouble with stdarg on ia64

Hi,

I'm trying to finally make XView work on IA64. This is old and ugly
sourcecode from Sun and of course, the assumption
sizeof(int)==sizeof(long)==sizeof(void *) is causing lots of problems.
Additionally, the whole API is based on stdarg and this is causing the
problem where I'm currently stuck:

According to the IA64 ABI, all arguments for stdarg-functions are passed in
64 bit slots. However, if you just pass a 32 bit quantity, then the upper
32 bits of the slot are undefined. Is there any way to avoid this (i.e. can
you force the unused part of the slot to be initialized to 0)?

Without this, I fear porting XView to IA64 will require much more effort
than I can justify.

Thanks,
Martin