Re: rx2600 console output with management card

ianw@gelato.unsw.edu.au (Ian Wienand) writes:

> Does anyone know if there is some trick to getting linux console
> output through the management processor on the rx2600?

> we boot with console=ttyS0
>
>>From the EFI boot maintenance menu I have
> * Acpi(PNP0501,0)/Uart(9600 N81)/VenMsg(Vt100)
> * Acpi(HWP0002,700)/Pci(1|1)/Uart(9600 N81)/VenMsg(Vt100)
> * Acpi(HWP0002,700)/Pci(2|0)
> selected as output/input/error devices.

It's not a trick, really, but if you select one and only one Uart port in
the EFI boot maintenance menu, with or without also enabling the VGA port,
then the Uart port you enable will be seen by the kernel as ttyS0.

When you enable both serial paths as you have above, I'm not at all sure where
the other serial port shows up to the kernel, but only one of them can be
ttyS0...

This is documented in the CD booklet that ships as part of the HP Enablement
Kit for Linux on Itanium Systems, fwiw.

Bdale