Re: support for ia64

Torsten Werner wrote:

Thanks for all ideas. I have already found some problem in lesstif:

xmgrace(16717): unaligned access to 0x60000000000f3af4, ip=0x20000000003c6520

If you're running woody you're using an old version of GNU C library. Jes Sørensen did a patch in the spring to memcpy - a patch which I believe would fix it. I don't think that the patch has been apply to glibc in woody!

Apparently glibc on IA64 did have problems with accessing memory over page borders. I have strunge "unaligned access" for a long time before I decided to simply upgrade to testing/unstable. I have 8 IA-64 based servers all running (almost) smoothly with Debian testing.

To my knowledge the version of glibc in testing does not have this problem (i.e., Jes' patch is included in the upstream releases now).

Kneth

--
Kenneth Geisshirt, M.Sc., Ph.D.         http://kenneth.geisshirt.dk
Grøndals Parkvej 2A, 3. sal                    kenneth@geisshirt.dk