Itanium2@900MHz slower than alpha@666MHz ?

Hi,

I am puzzled about the speed of a zx2000 workstation with a 900Mhz CPU.
According to the SPECfp2000 benchmarks, this workstation should be about
twice as fast as a DS10 alpha workstation.

The test program is only doing some Fourier transforms (fftw2) and some
matrix multiplications. Both fftw2 and the program have been compiled
with ecc -O2 -ipo -limf. ecc is Version 7.1, Build 20030307.

With or without optimization, the program runs about 25% slower on the
zx2000. Are there any compiler related issues ? The specfp numbers were
all obtained with ecc 6.0, which I don't have.

Both the alpha and the Itanium2 run Debian stable and kernel 2.4.20.

Thanks a lot,
Ionut

--
* Ionut Georgescu