Fwd: [Custom kernel build]

It looks something wrong with the modules.
After startup lsmod shows no loaded module.
But module support is working, after modprobe 3w-xxxx
I can access the raid array. lsmod then shows the module.

I activated, as stated in
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ia64/ch-post-install.en.html#s-kernel-baking
the kernel module loader.
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

I try to compile a new kernel, because I need the modules for
the 3ware raid controllers.

What have I done:
I installed
- kernel-package
- kernel-source-2.4.18
- fakeroot
I downloaded from kernel.org actual kernel 2.4.20 and ia64 patch.

Then I have done:
fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.4.20_custom.1.0_ia64.deb

First problem, the vmlinuz-2.4.20 file is 27MB big. Is that ok?
Next problem, elilo states something like can't use /dev/sdb1.
Would destroy /dev/sdb1. /dev/sdb1 is mounted
(/dev/sdb1 is /boot)

I have done the following manually:
cp /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 /boot/efi/debian/vmlinuz

Is it ok that there are 3 points where the kernel is
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20
/boot/efi/debian/vmlinuz
/vmlinuz (sym link)

How can I start vmlinuz.old at boot time ?

Is there a documentation I should read about this ?

- markus

--- End Message ---