Re: ia64 2.4.17-mckinley-smp vm crash

rwp@hprwp.fc.hp.com (Bob Proulx) writes:

Hi Bob.

> On an HP ia64 zx2000 with 4 GB of RAM and 8 GB of VM and one processor
> running the Debian 2.4.17-mckinley-smp default installation kernel.

You really, really, want to move to the 2.4.19 kernels in Debian unstable.
They are exactly what I'm using for HP's installation and recovery media now,
and I'm hoping that for 3.0r2 they'll replace 2.4.17 as our default install
kernel but that's still not certain to be accomplished.

My personal recommendation for a recipe is 3.0r1 plus 2.4.19 kernel from
unstable plus security updates.

> It is too late in the day today but tomorrow I will try to find the RH
> kernel source and see what patches are included there.

Too many to articulate easily.  The RH kernels in question are of about the
same "goodness level" as the 2.4.19 kernels in Debian, in my opinion... and
either is way better than 2.4.17.

Bdale