mysqld

Greetings,

I have an itanium developement box to test our software on and have run
into _countless_ problems.  The one that currently has me pretty stumped
is that mysqld dies when started.  To give you some general information
this is what is currently installed.  I download the mysql src RPM and
rebuilt it for the Itanium, all went well.  This is what is currently
installed:

mysql-devel-3.23.41-2
mysql-3.23.41-2
mysql-jdbc-2.0.7-1
mysql-server-3.23.41-2

I've upgraded the kernel to -  2.4.18 SMP

The usually suspects have already been checked - /var/lib/mysql.  The
mysql log reports the following obvious information:

020611 08:10:00  mysqld started
020611  8:10:00  bdb:  PANIC: No such file or directory
020611  8:10:00  Can't init databases
020611 08:10:00  mysqld ended

I've beat my head against the wall on this one for quite some time and
would appreciate any help offered.
Thank you,

--jason--
begin:vcard