Configure failures on ia64 with libxml2 check.

Hi!

I'm the Debian maintainer of glame, and I see the package having trouble
on ia64. The latest autobuilds of the package all failed during the
configure phase, specifically when checking for recent enough xml libs.
Cf. eg.
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=glame&ver=0.4.2-5&arch=ia64&stamp=1006221364&file=log&as=raw

The build log always ends like this:

	checking for xml2-config... /usr/bin/xml2-config
	checking for libxml - version >= 2.0.0... no
	checking for xml-config... no
	checking for libxml - version >= 1.8.0... no
	*** The xml-config script installed by libxml could not be found
	*** If libxml was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
	*** your path, or set the XML_CONFIG environment variable to the
	*** full path to xml-config.
	configure: error: You need at least libxml 1.8.0 to run glame!

A recent enough xml2, however, is installed according to the logs:

	Setting up libxml2-dev (2.4.8-1) ...

This suggests there's something wrong with the xml2 version check. I've
already included a small fix to the check from glame's devel branch, but
to no avail. Now, as glame builds fine on every other arch, this leaves
me rather puzzled. Could someone with access to an ia64 machine please
provide me with more details to this bug than what I see from the build
logs? Specifically I'd be interested in the output from
xml2-config --version, xml2-config --cflags, and xml2-config --libs.
The final lines of config.log after an unsuccessful build would be
interesting as well. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel.