g77-3.0 vs. -2.96

During the porting process, I have come across at least two
packages, one of them significant, that caused internal compiler
errors with g77-2.96. One was lapack-dev, the other is r-base,
which I'm still working on. Both compile fine with g77-3.0.

Since the motivation for using 2.96 instead of 3.0 pertains more
to C and C++, and since bug fixes for 2.96 are going to be
difficult to come by, what would people think about changing the
default to 3.0 for g77 on ia64?

--
John R. Daily                                    Progeny Linux Systems
Consultant                                          jdaily@progeny.com