Re: [Linux-ia64] gcc won't inline function returning struct?

>If it makes function calls when the author was expecting it to do two
>computations, its performance may well be insufficient to function.

I've never heard this argument before.  It does make some sense.

It does have a flaw though.  If the code was originally written for IA-32, and
proven to meet timing constraints on the IA-32 host, then there is no guarantee
that it will work on an IA-64 host.  The timing analysis will all have to be
redone.  So perhaps the program has a valid reason for using extern inline,
but it is still non-portable, which was the point I was trying to make.

Jim