building debs...

Got my ia64 compile account on sourceforge today....

managed to get some basic things setup so that i can build a deb. the
first one i have is:

-rw-r--r--   1 tausq    users      495292 Jul 31 22:14 shellutils_2.0-7_ia64.deb

whee! :)

anyway, so as not to duplicate effort, here is what i have on tl2:
under my home directory (/home/users/tausq) is a directory called "root"
-- this is the base of a debian "chroot" without the permissions...
under root i have the contents of the dpkg, debhelper, debmake and
fakeroot packages. this is not a lot, but enough to build simple
packages like shellutils that don't have a lot of builddeps

one word about dependencies... because this is not a real debian
install, the dependency info can't be gathered very well. what i've done
is created a root/etc/dpkg/shlibs.override file that contain some
entries from my potato ia32 system. some of that may be wrong, but it'll
get things started at least so that dpkg-shlibdeps doesn't choke.

i tried to get apt going, but the g++ compiler on ia64 is still quite
buggy unfortunately.

well, that's all for now. Hope some people find this useful. we should
keep a tab of what packages people get going and what not....

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>
http://www.TauSq.org/