Bug#952975: Subject: debian-i18n: gtk-3 in bullseye does not seem to support XIM input.
Justification: renders package unusable
*** Reporter, please consider answering these questions, where
* What led up to the situation?
I performed get-apt dist-upgrade by including testing repository.
Now my /etc/debian_version is
Then I could no longer perform Japanese input using XIM protocol.
* What exactly did you do (or not do) that was effective (or
I found that mozilla thunderbird mailer and firefox browser did not
Japanese input using XIM protocol at all (I used kinput2-wnn frontend).
also did not accept Japanese input either.
Meanwhile, other programs continued to receive Japanese input.:
tkremind, and a
So I suspect only gtk-3 linked programs suffered from the issue.
* What was the outcome of this action?
Gtk-3 linked programs failed to do accept Japanese input using XIM
more (with kinput2-wnn forntend).
I could no longer trigger Japanese input mode by hitting control-Space
by my configuration.)
Other programs (non gtk-3 linked programs) continued to accept Japanese
using XIM protocol with kinput2-wnn frontend.
* What outcome did you expect instead?
I should be able to input Japanese characters as I could before the "apt-get
dist-upgrade" using XIM protocol with kinput2-wnn as frontend.
To wit: im-xim.so was missing.
The file marked with * above was missing after apt-get dist-upgrade.
I had to copy it back from im-xim.so.saved.
(See the last post in the following thread:
-- System Information:
Debian Release: bullseye/sid
APT prefers oldstable-updates
APT policy: (500, 'oldstable-updates'), (500, 'testing'), (500,
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386
Kernel: Linux 5.4.0-4-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Kernel taint flags: TAINT_OOT_MODULE, TAINT_UNSIGNED_MODULE
Locale: LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8) (ignored:
LC_ALL set to ja_JP.UTF-8), LANGUAGE=ja_JP.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8) (ignored:
LC_ALL set to ja_JP.UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled