Re: linux 3.14.13-2: Please translate the package linux

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 08:36:18 +0300
fr33domlover wrote:

> I went over the message strings and they seem to contain to many
> technical terms, it would probably be useless and confusing to
> translate the POT to Hebrew.

it is not actually useless; as a translator,
 you need to find what need to be as-is and what should be translated.
in case of Japanese, about 10% of words are used as-is

about half of the remains are just their pronunciations, though :p

the average may be higher if your lang does not have corresponding words,
and you can think it's useless when e.g.: 80% of strings are same as original

> It would end up being mixed Hebrew and English...
> better just leave the English, I believe, since technical
> people reading those messages should have reasonable English.

note that debconf is used by users who manipulate the package,
 not only by technical people;
e.g.: a user searched web, and a site suggest dpkg ... operation

> I did my first Debina translation very recently so I'm not sure what to
> do: Should I "translate" by copying the messages to the translation
> (which of course affects the translation %) or leave Hebrew in the
> current "untranslated" state?

given that you cannot find a translation better than its original,
"I" prefer "translated" state because:
by making a po 100% translated by putting copy of msgid,
 other translators can assume that
 at least someone in your team took care all current messages
 so the translator can skip that package to work,
 by just looking your stat page at
https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po-debconf/he,
 without fetch & extract it from archive

but it's up to your team in the end :)