Re: yubico-pam.it.po: not-uptodate-po-file error

Quoting Francesca Ciceri (madamezou@zouish.org):
> Hi all,
>
> I was updating the italian translation for yubico-pam po-debconf file
> when I noticed that it is listed in the "errors" page [1]
> as "not-uptodate-po-file".
>
> I've read the explanation for this error here [2], but I'm not sure what
> I have to do now.
>
> Write a bug report to the maintainer?

Well, theoretically, yes, as I don't really understand how (s)he ended
up with this. The debian/rules file is quite standard and
"debconf-updatepo" should have been run during the package build.

If you "apt-get source yubico-pam" and then go to debian/po/, you get
this:
cperrier@mykerinos:~/tmp/yubico-pam-2.14/debian/po $ allpo
cs :Charset is utf-8. Stats: cs.po: 4 translated messages.
da :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: da.po:7: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
da.po: 4 translated messages.
de :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: de.po: 4 translated messages.
es :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: es.po:31: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
es.po: 4 translated messages.
fr :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: fr.po:7: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
fr.po: 4 translated messages.
it :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: it.po: 6 translated messages.
ja :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: ja.po: 4 translated messages.
nl :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: nl.po: 4 translated messages.
pl :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: pl.po:6: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
pl.po: 4 translated messages.
pt :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: pt.po:7: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
pt.po: 4 translated messages.
ru :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: ru.po: 4 translated messages.
sv :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: sv.po:7: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
sv.po: 4 translated messages.

("allpo" is a script of mine that runs "msgfmt -o /dev/null
--statistics" over all PO files in a directory)

So, apart from the warnings, you see that debian/po/it.po has 6
strings instead of 4. Probably that file was created with an outdated
templates.pot file....or before a change happened to templates strings.

Running "debconf-updatepo" gives:

cperrier@mykerinos:~/tmp/yubico-pam-2.14/debian/po $ allpo
cs :Charset is utf-8. Stats: cs.po: 4 translated messages.
da :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: da.po:7: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
da.po: 4 translated messages.
de :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: de.po: 4 translated messages.
es :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: es.po:31: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
es.po: 4 translated messages.
fr :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: fr.po:7: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
fr.po: 4 translated messages.
it :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: it.po: 1 translated message, 3 fuzzy translations.
ja :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: ja.po: 4 translated messages.
nl :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: nl.po: 4 translated messages.
pl :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: pl.po:6: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
pl.po: 4 translated messages.
pt :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: pt.po:7: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
pt.po: 4 translated messages.
ru :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: ru.po: 4 translated messages.
sv :Charset is UTF-8. Stats: sv.po:7: warning: header field 'Language' still has the initial default value
sv.po: 4 translated messages.

...exactly what's shown on the website.

Still, I don't think it will be very useful to report a bug. Better
just update the translation.

> Generate the right file from the source package (using
> 'debconf-updatepo') and submit the translation as usual?
>
> Or just retrieve the file from the website?

The last two options are the best, imho. The file from the website is
regenerated against templates.pot so you'll work on the right file
anyway, so whatever is more convenient for you is the best.