Re: serious problem, I don't know where to report!

I'm going to go ahead and push this back to the lists, so people a
little more cogent than I can jump in.

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 3:30 AM, Jack Wilborn <jkwilborn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joel, thanks for the input.  As you can see from my post it is apparently in
> the file as a character then a space.

I think you've convinced yourself that isn't the case by now.

Those characters are double wide, or full width. No extra spaces mixed
in. Wikipedia might help here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfwidth_and_fullwidth_forms

> I don't remember what the
> LibreOfficer Writer did, but I believe it changed the font to Droid Sans.

The font probably isn't going to tell us much.

> will try the Crtl-space option and I don't think I'm using any keyboard
> shortcuts, just typing.

Shift-space also does it. (It's the one that always gets me, you'd
think I'd be sensible enough to disable that keyboard shortcut.) That
may have been what got you.

> Since the docs come back with the unusual font and post with them, I'm
> pretty sure looking at them with a hex dump program will not add anything
> that I know to look for.

Well, if you don't know what you're looking for, it doesn't help.
Sorry, I should have been a little less terse.

> I will attempt to follow your advise, as I was a lead programmer and have
> retired, I've spent lots of time and have never had this happen before, but
> it has reached a critical level to where I cant do anything without this
> popping up.  Very frustrating.

My Dad would always just go to sleep when the computer misbehaved.
Lately, I do, too. Hate it when I end up dumping a long string of 500
periods or exclamation marks or something into a document before I
wake up. Worse is when I fall asleep on the backspace key. :-/

> I wish I had switched to linux when I was learning the little bit that I did
> do under Unix.  I'm sure I would have learned much more and been proficient
> by now.

Getting old is not fun, sometimes. (I think you have at least ten
years on me, but I'm feeling it too.)

> Thanks again

Sure.

--