Use upstream packaging translations in DDTP

Hi, I'm upstream for some app (epoptes), and also Debian maintainer for
it. It's been translated in 35 languages.
I could include any packaging text (short, long description...) in the
epoptes.pot file, and have it translated in 35 languages too.

What I'm then missing is some way to automate the .po => DDTP process.

I think many projects could follow the same approach.
In the majority of the cases, package descriptions are not distro
specific, so _allowing_ upstream translations for packaging text sounds
like a good idea to me...

Thoughts?