Re: "Debian Kernel team" (Re: DPN 02/2013 frozen. Please review and translate.)

Filipus Klutiero wrote:
>> The wiki page and so on are "Debian Kernel", so I'm not convinced it
>> needs caps on Team.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean, but the DebianKernel page is at
> /Teams/DebianKernel. Calling it "DebianKernelTeam" would have put it
> at /Teams/DebianKernelTeam. Anyway, many pages on the wiki have a
> wiki style and shouldn't be taken too seriously.
>
>>   Note also the reference in the previous para to
>> "the Debian Med team" (and to Debian Med).
>
> The Debian Med team is the team working on Debian Med (which is the
> official name of... Debian Med). If we refer to "the Debian Kernel
> team" in the same fashion, that implies we're referring to the team
> working on "Debian Kernel". But there's no such thing as "Debian
> Kernel".

There's also a http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel pointing at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/, #debian-kernel on
irc.debian.org, and so on.

"Debian Kernel" is a bad name in at least two ways (it also
contributes to the DPN's annoying tendency to mention Debian several
times per sentence), but people do treat it more or less as a name for
the thing that particular team is concerned with, in the same way as
the QA team, the D-I team, and other lower-case-tee teams.

Next time if there happen to be several Upper-Case-Tee Teams in the
news it might look more sensible to standardise in that direction, but
for now I'm happy with how it is.
--
JBR     Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate.
        Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this.