Re: Use of UTF-8 triple points ? instead of "..."

Hello,
On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 07:24:40PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> > As someone using and translating to a language where some special
> > characters are available only in UTF-8[1] I'd recommend to avoid it if
> > possible. It's not enough to have the correct locale, the font used to
> > display it has to contain that character too.
>
> And sadly even some hardware on sale now that runs debian has a system
> font without it. But more to the point, why do it? Just to save two
> characters and maybe one byte?

No. To be typographically correct. In the beginning, there was ASCII,
and many typographic conventions had to be emulated (at least if you
did not use TeX or simmilar). Now we are able to write e-mails with
proper quotes and so on. And since a proper ellipsis exists and Debian
UTF-8 is now the default for several releases, the German team startet
wondering why are we still emulating?

> (And as I was just reminded by a bounced email, mail-mode in the Emacs
> in debian stable doesn't handle UTF-8 in email headers correctly...)

I'm not sure if UTF-8 is allowed in e-mail headers. If so, Emacs needs
to be fixed ...

Greetings

          Helge