Re: DPN 21/2012 frozen. Please review and translate.

On Du, 28 oct 12, 08:37:04, Christian PERRIER wrote:

> As a side note in this discussion, I'd like to mention the convention
> I personnally use: putting my family name in capitals. I think this is
> an interesting convention to use, particularly by our Asian friends
> as, in most Asian cultures, the family name is used first....but
> confusion is added by the fact that several have indeed adopted the
> "European" use.

+1 on the suggestion, I started using it myself whenever there is a
chance of confusion.

> This combined with the deep ignorance we (the so-called "european"
> folks, which usually includes Latin and Anglo-Saxon cultures) have
> from Asian names and surnames, leads to many "cultural mixups" ending
> in calling someone with her first name only, which is often considered
> rude. And all this is made even more complicated because things vary a
> lot between China, South-East Asia, Japan, Korea, India, Thailand, etc.

No need to go so far. Hungarians also put family name in front[1] and in
Romania we have many names that sometimes also show up as family
names[2]. At my place of work[3] I'm seeing a lot of mistakes in this
regard, especially when cultures interact.

[1] Romanians used to do it as well, but it seems we have been
influenced by the Anglo-Saxon cultures
[2] for example Andrei Gheorghe, which translates to Andrew George.
[3] I'm dealing with lots of people from various nationalities,
citizenships and countries.

Kind regards,
Andrei