Re: Announcing the Open Source Translation Database

On 09/03/2012 03:09, Andrew Smith wrote:

The OSTD ( http://littlesvr.ca/ostd/ ) is an automatic translations
system - it will take your .POT file and populate it with translations
based on strings in other open source software, generating .PO files.

but there isn't a download link for the OSTD source.
Do you give the OSTD source?
Is it free software[1] or not?

Have translations a license?
Can one download all the translations database?

p.s. A big thanks to Christian Perrier, with whose help I was able to
populate the database with an initial 11 million translated strings!

so you have used Debian translations, but you must know that all translations have a license. If I don't mistake each package translation have the same license of the package (so GPL, LGPL, AGPL, MPL, ...).

Note that the Ubuntu team don't use the Debian translation because they want to generate all translations with the same license (if I don't mistake they are using BSD), I have take a look at the Italian translation and they have a lot of mistakes, errors, wrong translations, ...

If you use translations form different projects you can generate with OSTD text with incompatible license.

Note that if you use AGPL translations in your database you must give download for they and they modifications.

I'm not an expert but I think you can have legal problems.

You say:
> I am not encouraging you to use it for proprietary software but I am
> not going to do anything to stop you from using it for that purpose.

I don't know if you can do that.

and that:
> Is it free?
> Completely, in fact I don't think it's possible to make money with a > system like this

I don't think you can do that either.

I suggest you to:
* tell on your site that people can use it only for free software[1]
* tell on your site that it is not free as gratis, so people cannot do
  what they want with the results
* consider to release the OTDS source as free software[1] so each
  project can implement it on his site or as a client or a standalone
  program
* I have read that you tell people where the translation come from, so
  I think it is better to say to people to look at the license of that
  translation before do anything
* say people that they only can upload .po file that they own, on who
  they are the only copyright owner and beast tell people to accept to
  release all the translation and English text all with the same
  license (BSD? GPL? FDL?...) and give to you the copyright.
  I don't think you can obtain that from a project like Debian.

One example: I can use your system to translate one Debian program documentation, I see that a lot of translations come from a product that I don't know, but if this product is a commercial one and when I'm releasing the translation I can be in trouble... but also you will be.

Here in Debian people use translation from other Debian packages because the owner of the real copyright on translation is the Debian team and the owner can change license as he wants.

hmm... I can make a software that given an English sentence output few line of code that do what the English sentence say, I can take the code from Debian and use comments for extracting the sentences. I will make a site like OTDS with the same rule... but if you write a lot of sentences in the right order you can obtain a Debian program... without a license!?!?! without the original program license.

I wish that a more expert can give a more accurate reply on this matter.
There is a legal section in Debian?

Ciao
Davide

[1]