Re: Call for Rebiews and translations: Announcement for new mirror in china

On Lu, 23 mai 11, 14:23:28, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:

> You can (try to) find it at
> svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/publicity/announcements/en/2011 called
> 2011-05-24-mirror-china.wml, but as alioth is currently a bit glitchy,
> you'll also find the current text attached, just in case you can't
> access it in the repository.

I don't know about others, but I very much prefer to have it attached
every time. Of course, if my suggestions are significant I'll also
attach a patch, additionally to in-line comments.

This time I can't attach a patch because alioth seems to be down, which
is why I didn't snip anything from the original announcement.

Regards,
Andrei

> # $Id: 2011-05-24-mirror-china.wml 2185 2011-05-23 12:15:11Z tolimar $
> # $Rev: 2185 $
>
> <define-tag pagetitle>Debian announces Chinese Mirror</define-tag>
>
> ## When is this announcement likely to be send out?  Please keep in mind,
> ## that it should also be reviewed and translated
> <define-tag release_date>2011-05-24</define-tag>
> #use wml::debian::news

> mirror in mainland China. The new mirror, <a href="http://ftp.cn.debian.org";>ftp.cn.debian.org</a>, will
> significantly reduce network latency to the Debian software repositories
> and help to raise Debian's profile in China, and is accessible via IPv4 as well as via IPv6. Beside Debian's package archive, the
> mirror also offers Debian's CD, DVD and Blu-Ray image archive as well as the
> backports archive, and for user of Debian's oldstable release (<q>Lenny</q>) the Debian
> volatile archive.</p>

> mentions this will <q>significantly reduce the lag time</q> when syncing with
        ^^^^^                                                      ^^^^^^^
        comma                                               can't find in Webster

maybe s/syncing/synchronizing/ ?

> Debian's ftp-master server. Previously it was common to have a lag time of about
> two days between a ftp-master and China. With the new primary mirror, the
> mirror team has been able to reduce that time to under six hours for push
> clients and under twelve hours for passive syncing mirrors.</p>

not 100% sure about this, but if you do s/syncing/synchronizing/ then here it would
be necessary to s/passive syncing mirrors/passively synchronizing mirrors/

> has an easy to remember name of the form <tt>ftp.&lt;country code&gt;.debian.org</tt>.
> They are all automatically updated whenever there are updates to the Debian
> archive.</p>

> Science and Technology of China.</p>
>

> <h2>Usage of the new <tt>ftp.cn.debian.org</tt> mirror</h2>

> directly via <a
> href="http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian-cd/";>ftp.cn.debian.org</a>HTTP</a> or by usage

> <pre>
> deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian squeeze main
> deb-src http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian squeeze main
>
> deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main
> deb-src http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> </pre>

> <pre>
> deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian lenny main
> deb-src http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian lenny main
>
> deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
> deb-src http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
> </pre>

s/user/users/

> <pre>
> deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
> deb-src http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
> </pre>

> <pre>
> deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian-backports lenny-backports main
> deb-src http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian-backports lenny-backports main
> </pre>

I would have written: "...may also use the new mirror.", but can't argue why :)
In any case, I think the comma before "too" is not needed.

> their package manager to update the package index files, e.g. by running

IMHO this needs rephrasing. One way would be:

to use their preferred package manager to update the index files, e.g. by

> <h2>About University of Science and Technology of China</h2>

> The <a href="http://en.ustc.edu.cn/";>University of Science and Technology of China</a> (USTC) is a national
> research university located in Hefei, China. Founded by the Chinese Academy
> of Science (CAS) in September 1958, USTC is aimed at fostering high-level
> personal of science and technology absolutely necessary for the development
> of the national economy, national defense construction, and education in
> science and technology. The university is regarded as one of the most
> prestigious universities in China.
> USTC LUG was founded in 2003 and has been gone through eight years. As a

What does "has been gone through eight years" mean?

(This was my last comment)