DDTP, apt-cache and bug #490000

Hi!

I am a member of the Italian team working on the DDTSS translations.

Every once in a while we stumble in the same discussion. Should we
consider the results of an "apt-cache search" command when translating?

The consensus among our team is always the same... apt-cache should by
default search _always_ in the original descriptions too. ... but it
doesn't.

There is bug #490000 suggesting the same thing, even if only for the
short descriptions, but it doesn't look like it received any attention.

The main problem is that no language has a 100% translated rate, thus
every user has to make the search command twice to be sure not to miss
any package... one with the English term and one with the translated
word (or prepend something like LANG=C to the command line).

I know that having apt-cache search always in the original descriptions
doesn't solve the problem for those using a translated word as a search
parameter, but it will be of great use for those that use the english
word (which might very well be something well known like screensaver,
mp3 player... )

Did other language teams consider this problem?

Does anyone else thinks the behaviour of apt-cache should be changed?

Does the i18n-team think it is something worth considering (and possibly
solve)?

Thanks,
beatrice.