Re: Regression for 100% target for debconf templates: no hope to ever reach it in a near future

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:09:10AM +0100, Martin Ågren wrote:
> On 24 November 2010 07:17, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> > At least for unstable, it is now clear that no language will reach
> > 100% by the time squeeze is release. Indeed, a new package was
> > uploaded with debconf templates, no review of templates and no call
> > for translations.
>
> Sigh. :(
>
> It must be possible to device some probabilistic lintian check for
> this: If there's a debconf template that is not completely translated
> to any language, something is wrong. Either all translators have
> stopped responding or, more likely, the maintainer (uploader) has
> cheated.

On top of po-deconf translations, maybe we can include translations of native
packages too.

> We could even require ALL in some set {French, German, Swedish,
> Russian, more?}, or at least some threshold: In case the maintainer is
> e.g., Swedish and provides a translation on his own, he'd still need
> one or two more translations to pass the test.
>
> If we can then make this lintian check auto-reject, world domination
> should be within reach! For security uploads, this step might be
> non-optimal.

IMO, we cannot *require* full translation: if a translation team doesn't reply
in time, it would prevent the maintainer from uploading.
(If we'd require this, it would tend maintainer to use online web translation
with terrible results)

A lintian warning would be more suitable IMO.

--
Simon Paillard