po file and merge helper hook script for vcs such as git

Hi,

(I did not get response at debian-mentor.  So I am reposting the same
question here with some rephrases.)

If we translate with po files, what kind of merge/rebase strategy
should we use?  Does any one know best hook scripts to automate
merging?

Simple git merge creates a file which requires too much manual fixes.
Is there any good way to run something like

 $ msgmerge ...

automatically while we try to do merge/rebase with vcs via hook script?

Pointer to doc and scripts appreciated.

Osamu