Re: Best practices for i18n manpages with po4a?

Hello Simon,
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:06:08PM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> Sorry for the quite late answer, and best wishes for the new year.

No problem.

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 08:40:34PM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > for the packages I maintain I use po4a to translate the man pages
> > (which works really nice, btw.). Up to now, the number of languages I
> > had translations for was rather low, so I simply added the required
> > commands in debian/rules. Now I receive more and more translations
> > (thanks to all involved) which each require a two lines along
> >         cd $(MANDIR) && po4a-updatepo -f man -m asclock.man -p asclock.xx.po
> >         cd $(MANDIR) && po4a-translate -k 20 -f man -m asclock.man -p asclock.xx.po -a asclock.xx.add -l asclock.xx.man
>
> IMO, the first step would be using a po4a.conf, in which you can use
> $lang and substitute it with the languages defined in po4a_langs.
>
> You can find more details in the po4a man, or good examples in apt,
> manpages-fr.

Well I couldn't find anything in the man pages for po4a (except the
existence of po4a.conf).

I pulled the latest version, and yes, a "hidden" man file is present
in section 5 (po4a-build.conf) seems to tell what I need to know.

I will have a look in the mentioned packages, thanks.

> Other examples :
> grep-dctrl -F Build-Depends po4a -s Package /var/lib/apt/lists/*_Sources

I'll have a look at those 40-2 (mine) packages, thanks again for all
pointers.

Greetings

           Helge