Re: Intent to NMU dtc-xen to fix pending po-debconf l10n bugs

Hello Thomas,
On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 01:44:51PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Please don't upload anything concerning this package. We are very close
> to a release of both DTC and DTC-Xen, please bare with us, thanks.
>
> Note that when both dtc and dtc-xen are out, it would be greatly
> appreciated to have you guys check the translation. A quite big effort
> has been made into translating DTC itself, which has more than 1500 strings.

I think you misread Christians mail. We (currently) do not intend to
work/update the programm translation but rather the Debconf
translation. There are several open (not even acknowledged) debconf
translations sitting in the BTS, some are from January/Februar.

Since users of your package only see the Debconf strings once, they
should be provided as soon as possible in as many languages as
possible. To achieve this (and ensure that people upgrading from Lenny
to Squeeze get it definitly) Christian offers his help *as a service*.
Essentially you'll get a nice patch (even dealing with some of the
oddities which pop up sometimes) which you then simply can use in the
future.

So the question from our side is: When are you intending to include
the work of the many translation teams for the po-debconf files?

> DTC is currently fully translated into: French, German, Simplified
> Chinese, Swedish, Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish. Russian is nearly
> completed, help would be appreciated so it can be finished. Partial work
> also exists for Dutch, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese, etc.
>
> Anyone wishing to help in translating DTC can read this:
>
> http://dtcsupport.gplhost.com/PmWiki/AddingTranslationToDTC

For this you should issue a dedicated call for translators, ensuring
that previous translators are included so that they can either
continue their work or hand it over to the new volunteers.

Greetings

          Helge