Re: Debian Policy 3.8.3.0 released: localized manpages

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Christian Perrier<bubulle@debian.org> wrote:

> Before people "blindly" update their Standards-Version, I deeply
> suggest looking at this item:
>
>>   * Localized man pages should either be kept up-to-date with the
>>     original version or warn that they're not up-to-date, either with
>>     warning text or by showing missing or changed portions in the
>>     original language.                                        [12.1]
>
> *many* packages do provide localized manpages where l10n is handled
> "manually" (the translated manpages are just a copy of the original
> ones....where English is manually replaced by the said language). With
> such setup, it is nearly impossible to guarantee that the localized
> manpage is in sync with the original one.

Could the i18n team write something about the technical details of
doing translated manual pages the "right way" that could be shown to
upstreams and promoted via lwn.net, blogs and similar? I wanted to do
translated manual pages for chromium-bsu upstream but not knowing how
to do it properly prevented me from doing it at all.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise