Re: application/x-gettext mime type and PO files

Quoting Jens Seidel (jensseidel@users.sf.net):
> Hi,
>
> some email clients use per default a mime type of application/x-gettext for
> attached PO files.

I'm not aware of any....but my own mutt because I use this in
~/.mime-types:

application/x-gettext po

As I happen to send quite a lot of PO files and as I gave that trick
to a few people around, this is maybe what gives you that feeling of
"some mail clients"...:)

The rationale of doing this is to prevent mutt to do what it does by
default: treat PO files as text/plain *and convert them to its default
output charset when sending mail*.....which was one of my worst
nightmares when I switched to UTF-8 gradually back in 2004.

I still find bug reports where bug reporter sent wrongly encoded PO
files because of this.

I personnally consider this a bug more than a feature and there may be
ways to avoid this weird behaviour of mutt....but I never investigated
this further as the "application/x-gettext" does the trick..:-)

> I failed to use iconv and to extract the encoding from the PO file itself
> without writing an external script. Inline code I tested (already simplified):
>
> application/x-gettext; iconv -f iso-8859-1 %s; needsterminal;
> copiousoutput; test=grep --quiet -i 'Content-Type:.*charset=.*iso-8859' %s

Better use "msgconv" as it automatically extracts the originating
charset from the PO file, IMHO. I nearly no longer use iconv on PO
files because of that feature, indeed..