Re: A few hints to translators sending translations as bug reports

Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):

> I can understand that. However, I was under the impression that some
> mail/transfer processes, especially if the software isn't running in
> UTF-8, can still munge an unzipped file. This certainly happened to some
> of my translations in the past. (I don't remember which projects were
> involved, sorry.)

I can't certify this will never ever happen. Just like I can't certify
that a maintainer will not mungle files by error at some moment (I
even sometimes break Eddy Petrisor comma when I inadvertently open a
file containing his name with my XEmacs).

Trivially speaking, shit always happen. But that one happen quite
rarely now...

>> - use DEBFULLNAME and DEBEMAIL variables in your .profile file
>>
>>  That will allow your bug reports to come from someone who looks like
>>  a real person and not only a mail address. These variables are
>>  indeed used by many Debian utilities and developer tools.
>

> Would it be helpful for non-Debian users to include these in submission
> mail templates?

Not really. non-Debian users have to use "regular" mail for bug
submission and we can expect they properly configure their e-mail
software anyway so that bugs appear to come from their real name (for
instance, your bug reports are perfect wrt that matter, Clytie).

> If so, where should they go? I'm assuming the first variable is your
> full name and the second your email address. I already include the first
> in my template, and the second is the From address. But I'm happy to
> adjust things to suit. ;)

In that case, I was only speaking of ppl using "reportbug", so that
fits Debian (and, I guess Ubuntu) users.