Re: [WikiVote] Translation Namespace Policy

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 23:17 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Salokine <salokine@salokine.org> wrote:
> > 1. Could you read http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWiki/TranslationNamespace ?
> > It presents main propositions
>
> Yes.  I'd prefer wiki.debian.org/fr/Materiel with some way to map
> links from other languages into it.  Also, automatic language
> negotiation is nice, but doesn't seem to be considered (or did I miss
> it?).
Content negotiation, is about how to automatically redirect a visitor to
appropriate language page, not about naming scheme for translated :
- A given URL should always present the same language (except if
  the language is specified in the page:
  Hardware could be negotiated to Hardware.en or Hardware.fr
  but Hardware.en should always be presented the English version.
  ...keep in mind that in a wiki, different language of a page can have
  a very different from another language.

- We want google to index every language version. Also, googlers
  must be presented the page google "fount". (Therefore every language
  must have it's own URL). So the only option is to use content
  redirection.

No, I didn't considered content-negotiation in my page. However, unless
we have language neutral version of the pages, like "Hardware" ( !=
"Hardware.en")

> > 2. Could you vote for your favorite proposition on
> > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWiki/TranslationNamespace#wikivote ?
>
> No, I couldn't.  Please remove the Immutable Page lock.
You need to be logged-in the wiki to vote.

> Hope that helps,
Thanks for your feed back.

Franklin