cupsys-common installing po files?

Does anyone here know why cupsys-common installs the PO files instead of
the .mo ?

$ dpkg -L cupsys-common | grep locale
/usr/share/cups/locale/da
/usr/share/cups/locale/da/cups_da.po
/usr/share/cups/locale/de
/usr/share/cups/locale/de/cups_de.po

Just thought I'd check before filing a bug - I can't see how cupsys
expects these strings to be available to gettext in this form.

./configure is called using:
--without-included-gettext --enable-nls

I can see that the programs can be configured to look for the unusual
directory (/usr/share/cups/locale instead of /usr/share/locale/) but
this is not being passed (AFAICT). Is cupsys-common expecting gettext to
pre-process these po files at runtime? Is this some misconception
about .mo files (which are binary) and architecture-dependent files
in /usr/share?

I came across this when working on the cross build of cupsys using
em_installtdeb (emdebian-tools 0.7.3) [0]. If this isn't a bug, I'm
going to have to work out how to create tdebs from cupsys. Are there
other packages that do this kind of thing? gawk puts some po files in
usr/share/doc/gawk/examples/ but cups is the only package on my system
that puts po files under /usr/share.

[0] 0.7.0 is in unstable, installing that adds the Emdebian repository
to your sources which makes 0.7.3 available until 0.8.0 is ready for
upload to Debian. This allows quicker updates whilst still allowing
migration into testing and the Emdebian repository is needed anyway to
install the toolchains. See also
http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/langupdate.html

--

Neil Williams