Re: msgmerge --previous option vs. diff output

Op Woensdag 25-07-2007 om 10:23 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Jens
Seidel:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 07:49:37AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Be careful: some of these templates use variables. Formerly, the
> > variable was ${SECURITY_HOST}  and it has been modified to
> > ${HOST}. You should notice this as D-I PO files now use gettext's
> > "--previous" option.
>
> --previous is helpful but for really large msgid's it's useless. I
> would rather prefer if --previous creates a patch format to compare
> the old and new format ...
>
> It should not be too late to change this in gettext. Other comments?
>
> Jens

I believe that the translation application should provide a way to show
the difference nicely. In Pootle we have some code to compare the
different suggestions with colourful markup to make it easier to compare
to the current translation. I was planning on reusing something like
that as soon as we supported the previous msgid's properly.

I'm not sure how easy diff format is to read for non-developers. We like
it, of course :-)

Friedel