Re: Debconf i18n session 2/7: lenny i18n release goals

On Sunday 17 June 2007 23:37, Christian Perrier wrote:
> *) Use more langs in D-I.
>  Frans Pop-->memory impact. Still that problem that we have no way to
>  unload translations goal to improve cdebconf to avoid loading
>  translations twice
>  suggestions by Colin Watson to use memory map
>  Nicolas François could work on this but this is more a d-i release
>  goal
>  next step could be a gettext backend for debconf and store translations
>  in mo files

Note that this last is possibly not a really good idea, as Joey explains
in a thread on d-devel [1]:
! .mo files do not exist when debconf preconfigures packages. Unless you
! want to stick them in control.tar.gz and deal with them in
! /var/lib/dpkg/info/. When debconf l10n was being developed, this was
! thought to be a bad idea.

At least, it would not be something that could also be used outside D-I.
It could probably work in D-I as we do not preconfigure udebs, but
developing support for .mo files for cdebconf just for D-I does not seem
like the most option.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/07/msg00382.html