Re: Standard way to mention copyright holder in PO files

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 06:01:11PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Yes I have heard about this.  Does that mean public domain is not a
> > really valid concept in such countries?  (I realize this is a legal
> > quesiton and is probably off-topic on debian-i18n.)
>
> Yes. There is no public domain in Europe. Thats why the (C) part is
> superflous here - you (the author) have automatically the copyright.

Where do you get the notion that public domain does not exist in Europe?
Spain does have a public domain, in the sense that the author can
"give out" (forsake?) to the public most of the rights associated with
copyright law (distribution, copying restrictions, reproduction,
communication, derivative works...).

There are some moral/ethical righs that belong to copyright law (such as
authorship) which can never be "given out" by a work's author.

> But, in some cirumstances, you'll automatically transfer all rights to
> use the work to some other person, e.g. your employer.

Not all the rights. Authorship is one right that cannot be transfered, even
to employers. This right is covered in French and Spanish law and is also
covered in the Berne Convention [1] (Article 6bis [2]). This convention has
been signed by all EU countries.

FYI

Javier

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_convention