Re: Documenting unavailability of localization-config in Etch's release notes

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 11:27:18AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

> I was wondering if we should document this fact on the Release Notes, as some
> users might have come to expect some of the thinks localization-config.
> Based on the sources this is what it did for sarge users:
>
> - installing -l10n packages based on the system's defined locale (including
>   fonts)

This is done automatically by d-i (tasksel). It installs appropriate
language tasks based on the language you select on the first screen of
the installer. There are usually two localization tasks per language -
one for standard install (installs basic localization packages) and
the other for desktop install (installs l10n files for iceweasel...).

> - preseed the user's dictionaries based on the configured locale (through
>   dictionaries-common)

I'm not sure about this one, but usually the language task (see above)
installs appropriate dictionaries and dictionaries-common do not ask
further questions (at least this is the case for Czech).

> - presetting the user's keymap in X (now users have to answer the
>   questions, when X gets installed)

Yes, this is a regression. *Some* of the settings are now included in
the xorg postinst script.

> - configuring the default Desktop environment based on system's locale
>   (GDM's /etc/default/gdm, KDM's kdmrc, KDE's system.kdeglobals)

Both GDM and KDM should now respect default system environment.

> - configuring some browsers with the system's default locale (lynx, links,
>   and mozilla)
>    - it seems mozilla is not an issue here since iceweasel will uses the LANG
>      environment to set its locale

Not sure, kazehakse just works and w3m does not have Czech
localization :-)

--
Miroslav Kure