Re: (forw) Google Summer of Code 2007 - mentors and project ideas wanted

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 09:31:29AM +0100, Gasper Zejn wrote:
> Dne nedelja 11 marec 2007 12:25 je Javier SOLA napisal(a):
> > - The first one would be performance. Assuming that SVN is local, all
> > operations on files (updates, etc) would require checking files in and
> > out of SVN. I have no experience on the speed of SVN, so I cannot judge
> > this.
>
> I too don't have much experience with large SVN repositories. I only know SVN
> was designed to also fix some performance issues of CVS. But since repository
> is local to server, it would probably be a performance issue. Also, the
> commits can't be executed in Pootle web server process, but a separate
> process, that only manages storage.

IIRC svn cannot perform two independent commits in 1 second. 10 single
commits require that's why at least 10 seconds. The reason is a
timestamp resolution of 1 second in some filesystems. I'm not sure
whether this delay is filessystem specific or general. There could be
also workarounds for it but at least shell scripts using multiple
svn commands are slow ...

I noticed this once I reported a reproducable error (which are not
very hard to find in svn if you use it extensively :-)).

Jens